Main information about Klonopin
Klonopin effectively inhibits the attacks of the generalized type of epilepsy.
It contains clonazepam, a medical product from the group of the derived benzodiazepines.
As the other benzodiazepines, the mechanism of the action of Klonopin is related to the sensitivity of the central nervous system to gamma-aminobutyric acid.
Using this drug increases a synthesis of gamma-aminobutyric acid and a sensitivity of the central nervous system is increased to it.
Due to this, it is possible to lower the agitation of neurons and reduce the frequency of the epileptic attacks.
Klonopin provides a strong anti-convulsive action, and effectively inhibits the panic attacks, relaxes the muscle tissue and reduces anxiety.
Using Klonopin reduces the attacks of epilepsy by 2 times and their degree is significantly decreased.
Administration and dose of Klonopin
Klonopin is used 2-3 times per day, within 2-3 months.
The pills should be used between meals and with water only.
To control epilepsy, Klonopin is used in the minimal dose of 0,5 mg 3 times per day.
In 3-5 days, the dose is usually increased.
The daily dose is increased gradually, in order to avoid an acute reaction of the central nervous system to the pharmacological action of the drug.
A standard daily dose of Klonopin is 4-8 mg (the dose is divided into 3 parts).
But the dose of Klonopin may be increased up to 20 mg per day during acute conditions of epilepsy, panic attacks, and others.
More than 10 mg of Klonopin per day may be used only in hospital, under doctor’s supervision.
The increase of 20 mg per day may cause an overdose and a development of severe side effects.
Klonopin is prescribed children but the dose for children should be lower:
- Infants and children under 1 year are prescribed Klonopin 0,1-1 mg per day
- Children at the age of 1 to 5 are prescribed 1.5-3 mg per day
- Children at the age of 6 to 15 are prescribed 3-6 mg per day.
Recommendations for the use
- A tolerance is developed to Klonopin but this process is rather slow, and therefore the drug is used for not more than 3 months, and then the medicine is replaced
- Clonazepam easily penetrate through placenta and into the breast-milk, and therefore it is not prescribed during pregnancy and lactation
- Even a little of alcohol may cause a severe inhibition of the central nervous system, and therefore it is strictly contraindicated to consume ethanol-containing products during the treatment
- If you feel that the efficiency of Klonopin is decreased during the use of the standard working dose, do not increase a daily dose. Go to a doctor and tell him/her about your symptoms
- Do not terminate the treatment abruptly. An abrupt termination of Klonopin may cause the increase of the symptoms of epilepsy and panic attacks.
Using Klonopin may cause incoordination, confusion, drowsiness, muscle weakness, nausea, dizziness, indigestion, lowering blood pressure.
All these side effects are related to the inhibition of the central nervous system and are not related to the pathological processes in the body.
In order to reduce a degree of the side effects, you may lower the daily dose of Klonopin for a while. If the side effects do not pass or grow, visit your doctor.
Do not suffer from severe side effects because they tell about the intolerance of Klonopin.