Main information about Soma.
Soma is the strongest muscle relaxant that dulls acute pain and relaxes the muscle tissue. It contains Carisoprodol ingredient.
The increased muscle tone causes acute pain and tightness of the muscle tissue. Painful impulses go through the muscle tissue that hinder movements, and this state may last within a long time. In case of the overexcitation of the central nervous system or pathological disorders in the body, the muscle spasticity may be kept within several days and even weeks.
Soma helps to reduce a hypertension of the muscle tissue during the disorders of the central nervous system and muscle traumas. It slows down painful impulses going through the central nervous system and increases a painful threshold.
A mechanism of the action of Soma consists in blocking the nerve impulses which come from the brain to the skeletal muscles. The muscles loss the ability to contract, and due to this muscle hypertonia is gradually decreased.
An analgesic action of Soma begins in 40-60 minutes after the use of the pill, and a myorelaxing action develops within 1-2 days. A peak of the drug activity occurs on the third day of taking the pills. In spite of the fast effect, pain may be kept for a long time in places of the contraction of the muscle tissue.
Soma is indicated for the use during many diseases of the locomotor system that are accompanied by the increased muscle tension and painful syndrome including severe traumas of the muscles.
Administration and dose of Soma
To reduce a tone of the muscle tissue and the painful syndrome, adults are prescribed a pill of Soma 350 mg. In case of the acute spasm of the muscles, it is enough to take 1-2 pills per day. But if this is not enough, it is allowed to take up to 4 pills of Soma 350 mg per day (a pill every 6 hours).
Children at the age of 5 to 12 years are prescribed Soma in the dose of 12,5 mg per 1 kg of the body weight. In pediatry, this drug is used only in urgent cases, and only under doctor’s supervision.
Recommendations for the use
- Even though Soma does not cause a medical addiction during the long-term treatment, the drug still should be used carefully
- Do not take Soma during myasthenia (pathological increased fatigue of the muscles), pathologies of heart with unstable heart rate (bradycardia)
- The use of Soma is strictly prohibited during pregnancy
- Children under 5 years old are not prescribed the drug because its safety is not completely studies for patients of this age group
- Senior men and people with severe diseases of kidneys may lower the frequency of the use, and therefore consult a doctor beforehand.
Using Soma may cause such side effects as lack of energy, fatigue, sleepiness, dizziness, headache, low blood pressure, or low heart rate.
Using Soma in high doses, a complete loss of the motion activity is possible. This is a temporal discomfort which passes after the reduced daily dose.