Main information about Xanax
Xanax is prescribed for anxious disorders which are accompanied by fear, concern, and panic disorders. This strong product lowers an agitation in the central nervous system and provides a calming effect.
Xanax contains Alprazolam. This ingredient is widely used in the medical practice to treat neuroses, anxiety disorders, panic attacks, depression, essential tremor, insomnia and others.
Xanax provides sedative, anxiolytic, hypnotic, anticonvulsant, and relaxing effect.
Using this drug slows down reactions in the central nervous system, due to which a general agitation of neurons and their activity in the subcortical structures of the brain are reduced.
Xanax lowers an emotional tension and relaxes the skeletal muscles. It is inferior to the muscle relaxants according to the efficiency but due to this effect, a more positive atmosphere is created and a patient easily calms down and relax.
A therapeutic effect of Xanax develops slowly, within a week, but after having the maximal activity of Alprazolam, a significant improvement of the disease symptoms occurs.
Administration and dose of Xanax
A therapeutic dose of Xanax depends on several facts that include age of a patient, medical image of a disease, and general health condition. According to this data, a correct scheme of the treatment and a gradual increase of the daily dose are made.
If anxious disorders, Xanax is usually used in the dose of 0,5 mg 1-2 times per day. To increase the effect, the dose of Xanax may be increased up to 2 mg 1-2 times per day in 1-2 weeks.
If panic attacks, Xanax is used in the dose of 2 mg 3 times per day, and in case of the psychosomatic disorders, the dose of Xanax is 1 mg 2-3 times per day.
An optimal therapeutic dose of Xanax will be 3-6 mg 2-3 times per day for most patients. But in case of severe forms of the disease, the daily dose may be increased up to 8-10 mg.
Recommendations for the use
- Donottakemorethan 10 mgofXanaxwithinaday. Even the maximal daily dose of 10 mg may be used only for a short period. In case of the prolonged use of such high doses, a patient may have side effects
- Senior patients should take only a half of the common dose of Xanax
- In case of the strong inhibition of the central nervous system (during alcohol/medical intoxication, use of opioid analgesics, and others), the use of Xanax is contraindicated. Do not combine two drugs of similar action
- In case of inhibition of the respiratory center, myasthenia gravis, glaucoma, severe depression with suicidal thoughts, the use of Xanax is contraindicated
- The use of Xanax is not recommended during pregnancy but your doctor may prescribe you’re an individual scheme of the treatment that will help you to cope with anxiety during pregnancy
- During the fast decrease of the dose or an abrupt termination of Xanax, a withdrawal syndrome is observed the symptoms of which vary
The inhibition of the functions of the central nervous system may be with side effects, and therefore taking Xanax you should be ready for the appearance of seizures, drowsiness, problems with coordination, memory problems, irritability, and respiratory failure.
If the side effects are moderate, the treatment is continued according to the standard scheme.