Main information about Zolpidem
Zolpidem is one of the best somnifacient on the pharmaceutical market which is added to many modern drugs.
In spite of the controversial data about the pharmacological characteristics of Zolpidem, it effectively copes with its task and helps to restore a complete and healthy sleep.
Zolpidem is quickly absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract during the peroral use and begins acting in about 20-30 minutes.
The maximal effect occurs in 2 hours when a human is sleeping.
After having the maximal effect, Zolpidem is gradually excreted from the body, and it loses its features in 5-6 hours.
Such a short period of the action provides more comfortable conditions for a patient: a human is not tired, not sleepy after awakening.
Zolpidem does not influence on the sleep with rapid eye movements when the body gets a good rest.
Using Zolpidem it is possible to forget about the night awakenings, tumultuous dream and prolonged falling asleep.
Administration and dose of Zolpidem
Patients at the age of 18 to 60 years old are recommended to take a pill of Zolpidem 10 mg 30 minutes before sleeping.
A pill should be used with a full glass of water and then a patient should go to sleep to have a faster effect.
If 10 mg of Zolpidem is not enough to accelerate a process of falling asleep and improve the quality of sleep, it is possible to increase the dose up to 15 or 20 mg of Zolpidem.
The dose may be increased only if you do not have contraindications.
Senior patients should not take more than one pill of Zolpidem 10 mg per day, and it is better to begin the treatment from the dose of 5 mg.
Zolpidem may be used only for a short period, 2-4 weeks.
Do not take the drug more than 4 weeks because it may lead to the development of an addiction.
Recommendations for the use
- If you take a pill and continue doing important things, you will feel fatigue and lack of energy in 30 minutes but the sleepiness will not occur. Therefore, if you take Zolpidem, try to lay in bed in 10-15 minutes
- Using more than 15 mg of Zolpidem per day or using pills within more than 4 weeks, a process of the formation of a medical addiction is accelerated
- If you are taking Zolpidem to treat insomnia, try to avoid an alcohol consumption during this period. It may increase the action of the drug, and a dysfunction will appear in the central nervous system
- A cessation of the use of Zolpidem after a prolonged treatment may cause spasms but this negative effect quickly passes.
- Zolpidem is contraindicated during night apnea, respiratory distress, myasthenia, pregnancy, lactation, and acute intoxications of the body
The use of Zolpidem may be accompanied by such side effects are nausea, hiccup, hypotension, tachycardia, pain in chest, fast fatigue, pain in muscles, dizziness, and depressive states.
Some men experience low libido due to the use of Zolpidem but the sexual function is completely restored after the treatment. If the side effects cover a positive effect from the use of Zolpidem, stop the treatment and ask your doctor about alternative medicines.