Main information about Zyloprim
Zyloprim stops a deposit of crystals of uric acid in the tissues of the joints and prevents an appearance of the gouty arthritis.
It contains Allopurinol ingredient which is considered a standard product for the treatment and prevention of gout.
Zyloprim changes metabolism of purines, so that a production of the uric acid is decreased.
This drug does not provide an analgesic action during gout, and therefore it is ineffective during the attacks. But this drug perfectly works as a long-term treatment of gout and hyperuricemia.
Zyloprim is also used for prophylaxis during chemotherapy which is able to cause a severe hyperuricemia.
Zyloprim may be used in the treatment of the chronic gouty arthritis as well as kidney stone disease. In case of the increased level of the uric acid, these pathologies are met in 80% of patients.
Administration and dose of Zyloprim
Zyloprim is produced in pills for the oral use. The pills should be used after meals with enough water. A dose varies depending on the severity of the disease, degree of the joint affections, and also a concentration of the uric acid.
Usually, adult patients are prescribed Zyloprim 100 mg per day with the next increase of the dose up to 900 mg.
Using low doses of Zyloprim, a daily dose is not divided. Using high doses of Zyloprim (more than 300 mg per day), it is necessary to divide the use into 2-4 parts and take it with similar time duration.
The treatment is continued up to the complete disappearance of the symptoms of gouty arthritis and a recovery of the normal level of the uric acid.
Children during hyperuricemia are recommended to take Zyloprim in the dose of 10-20 mg per 1 kg of the body weight. This daily dose is divided into 2-4 times.
Recommendations for the use
- Using Zyloprim may increase the symptoms of gout especially during the attack. This is a normal process, and therefore continue the treatment. The treatment is continued according to the standard scheme
- The use of Zyloprim is not recommended pregnant and breast-feeding women because this drug affects a fetus development
- Zyloprim may be used by children over 6 years old but only according to the important indications when there are no alternatives
- Zyloprim may be used with anti-inflammatory drugs which will reduce an inflammatory process in the joints and reduce a painful threshold
- Zyloprim is contraindicated during severe dysfunctions of liver, hepatic failure, acute attacks of gout (the medicine is used only when a patient feels better), arterial hypertension, and heart failure
According to the data of FDA, Zyloprim may cause side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, bradycardia, depression.
Sleepiness, loss of the taste, vision disorder, high concentration of urea, peripheral edemas, and skin rash.
A list of the side effects of Zyloprim is broad but the negative reactions often appear as a result of the overdose or non-observance of the precautions. If you experience the side effects, consult a physician.