Main information about Zyvox.
Zyvox is an antimicrobial drug of the new generation which has Linezolid.
This antibiotic is a representative of oxazolidinones that have recently appeared.
Zyvox is an antibiotic of the narrow action which provides a bacteriostatic effect to the pathogenic microflora.
Zyvox is more active as to gram-positive cocci which are not sensitive to many antibiotics. Also, this drug is effective as to Staphylococcus aureus, and microorganisms that are resistant to penicillin.
Zyvox shows a great efficiency during the treatment of the skin infections, respiratory tracts (pneumonia), and soft tissues. To treat other infectious processes, the efficiency of the antibiotic is lower.
During the peroral use, Zyvox is quickly absorbed from the gastro-intestinal tract and has a high pharmacological safety.
It is prescribed both adults and children. Even senior patients with diseases of kidneys/liver are allowed to take Zyvox to treat the infectious diseases.
Administration and dose of Zyvox
Zyvox in pills is used 1-2 times per day depending on the severity of the disease and a general medical image of a patient. The pills should be used between meals with a full glass of water.
- To treat pneumonia, patients are prescribed a pill of Zyvox 600 mg 2 times per day
- If skin infections and soft tissues infections, Zyvox 600 mg is also used 2 times per day
- If enterococci infections, 600 mg of Zyvox is used 2 times per day within 2-4 weeks
- It is contraindicated to take more than 1200 mg of Zyvox per day because this may lead to the severe side effects.
Children are nit prescribed an adjusted dose.
Recommendations for the use
- It is needed to take the blood test during the treatment in patients with high risk of the development of bleeding
- The dose adjustment is not required for patients with hepatic or renal failure of light, middle and severe severity
- If the use of Zyvox causes a skin allergic reaction, the treatment should be stopped right ways
- Do not take Zyvox with bactericidal antibiotics because it will lower a therapeutic effect
- Do not consume alcohol during the treatment
- Zyvox is not contraindicated during pregnancy. A safety index of the antibiotic allows not being worried about the functioning of the pregnant woman’s body. However, before using the drug during pregnancy, consult a doctor. A doctor may change the scheme of the treatment and will give individual recommendations
A patient may have the following side effects during the use of Zyvox diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, and candidiasis. The side effects do not depend on the dose of Zyvox, and therefore the dose adjustment will not change an intensity of the side effects. In case of the moderate side effects of the antibiotic, the treatment is continued.
They usually pass within 2-3 days. If the side effects grow, consult a doctor.